Monday, April 13, 2009

A Super Duper Weekend Pt. 2

Friday morning was Good Friday, although like I've said earlier, the whole concept of Easter was kind of surreal for me this year. It had occurred to me that I've been pretty slack spiritually, which never helps any situation, but it seemed like fasting would just be a disaster, because first of all, Frank's mom is an amazing cook, and it would be impractical if not rude to not eat as a guest and random foreigner she let sleep in her house - in her bed! So instead of not eating, I fasted from English.

Fortunately, I remembered my intentions early enough in the morning that I hadn't said anything to anyone, and I only slipped up once. I did sing some English lyrics later that night, but I don't think that was breaking the spirit of my fast. It was great - the extra effort that it took to say things made me less chatty with my friends, but it also meant that everyone was included in any conversation that I had - a good move, I think!

We spent the morning relaxing at home (Frank's mom's home, that is), watching TV and enjoying not doing anything. After lunch, Frank's brother-in-law Tiago drove us to a river where we swam around for a couple hours. By swam around, I mean that I never actually took my feet off the bottom of the river; actually I may not have even gone in further than my waist, but it was nice and cool to stand in the water and get some fresh air and just hang out! There was a lot of PDA at that river, so that was a little awkward every time I accidentally glanced at people making out (Catherine and I talked about that today - each time we saw we were both asking ourselves, "is that the same kiss as before, or did you start a new one?" and also "really? that? here? yikes.")

We had supper at Frank's mom's and went up to his sister's house again that night - she was away until Sunday because she works weekends in Pirenopolis, but we hung out with Tiago and their two daughters, as well as Frank's younger brother and sister. It was so much fun, and the couple from next door came over to play guitar/listen to music with us, and it was great!

No comments: