Monday, April 13, 2009

A Super Duper Weekend Pt. 3

Saturday was an amazing day on top of Friday. This is a blurry picture from a tree in Frank's mom's yard - blurry because I didn't have time to check the picture before my batteries died. That is why there are not hundreds of pictures from this weekend.

Saturday started out similar to Friday - I didn't sleep super well because Frank's niece crawled into bed with me in the middle of the night. Catherine and I were sharing Frank's mom's bed, and Frank and Diego were sleeping in Frank's brother's and sister's beds, and everyone else slept on mattresses in the living room. Frank's two nieces slept over Friday night, and apparently one got disoriented and went to climb into her grandma's bed: there I was.

We had an easy morning though, and in the afternoon Catherine, Frank, Diego, Lucas (Frank's brother) and I walked to another river to go swimming. This time Tiago didn't drive us, and it was probably at least a half hour walk, if not 45 minutes, but this river had a waterfall! We spent the whole afternoon there, swimming (for real this time, not just wading), sitting on rocks with our feet in the waterfall, jumping into where the water poured into the river and letting the current push us close to the beach - it was idyllic really.

Saturday was the day that I got my first terrible sunburn in Brazil.

But it's not as bad as you think! Sure in hindsight lying to dry in the sun seems unwise - but I was wearing sunscreen! I reapplied like four times! This is the thing though, I didn't reapply below my bathing suit top - that would be fanaticism, right? The sun never gets past my shoulders (again, hindsight: lying on the beach means the sun burns everything).

In my defense, my face and arms just got some colour, so that validates that when I use sunscreen it totally works - I do it right! - and I covered my head with a towel like a nun for the walk to AND from the beach, so I didn't get heat stroke or anything. I've just.. slept absolutely still for the last two nights, oh and most of the day Sunday, but we'll get to that. Clothes hardly hurt me any more at all!

No comments: