Monday, April 13, 2009

Day 93 - American Propaganda is Working

Joyce and Frank drove into Taguatinga this afternoon to pick up some things that were needed at Free Flight, and they were late getting back, so Catherine and I waited for a ride home, and a man waited with us who needed to meet with Joyce. He needed to use the bathroom, so Catherine unlocked it for him, and when she was locking it back up the man started talking to me. The following all happened in Portuguese:

Him: Are you American too?
Me: Oh.. I'm Canadian.
Him: Oh, right, okay.
five minutes later; by this time Adilio has arrived and is also waiting for Frank and Joyce to arrive
Man: So is it pretty different living in Brazil instead of the United States?
Me: I'm Canadian, I don't... (confusion)
a minute passes
Man: So can I ask... is Canada a country?
Me: (not laughing but wishing I could)... Yes, yes it's a country.
Man: It's not just part of the United States? The northern part of the country?
Me: Nope, it... it is a country.
Adilio: It shares a border with the States, but it's its own country. Like Argentina and Brazil. (cultural note - Brazilians hate being mistaken for Agentinians)
Man: Oh I see.. so they're different.
Adilio and I: Yes...

No comments: