Friday, April 17, 2009

Day 97

I've heard it said that absence makes the heart grow fonder; I'm learning more and more that goodbyes make the heart grow fond too!! All this week it has been so bittersweet to spend time with friends and enjoy it on purpose because I know I'm leaving soon and to have people telling me that they'll miss me when I go.
Catherine's English class had a goodbye party for me this morning - lots of people brought food - mostly cakes, but some other breads too, and pop, and it was so much fun! Everyone wrote me a little note to say bye or wish me good luck, and I loved reading through them! There is a mix of English and Portuguese, but they were all filled with such kind thoughts, and it made me really happy :) - By the way, yes I am wearing jeans and a sweater... it was cold and damp this morning! I think Brazil is trying to prepare me for heading back to Canada where summer hasn't quite yet arrived ;)
Catherine also broke out her guitar, and we sang Leaving on a Jet Plane and Stand By Me. One of the students, who I also helped to teach keyboard to, learned the words to Wherever You Go and she sang it to me accompanied by Catherine on guitar. We also all did an a capella version of the YMCA, and we muddled through one verse and the chorus of My Heart Will Go On. All in all a very sappy and beautiful goodbye party for sure!

I also wanted to post a picture of my fingernails because they are gorgeous!! Socorro is the cook at Free Flight, teaches hairdressing and manicure, and also cleans Joyce's house once a week, and she gave me a manicure yesterday! It was a little bit scary because she trimmed my cuticles which I've never had done before, and she accidently cut each of my pinky fingers because my skin is very delicate apparently... anyways, the second time it happened it hurt a lot! I was surprised, and tears came to my eyes, and we had just been joking about me crying the first time she cut me even though I hadn't, so I was trying not to cry, but then I was laughing and crying and it was a big silly mess and we bonded a lot over the ridiculous situation. Anyways, here you can see that it was definitely worth it! I keep looking at my nails no matter what I'm doing, and I feel all motivated to practice this summer until I can give myself a manicure :)If you can't see very well, you should click on the picture to make it bigger and see how cute my nails are! This is NOT a picture of a missionary suffering out in the bush.

The plan is to go out for dinner tonight, although Catherine is not feeling well and Frank sprained his wrist yesterday so he has a hard time eating. I need to hang up some laundry now though so it can dry before I finish packing tomorrow. bye for now!

No comments: