First of all, how could I almost forget! Last night, Catherine and I made guacamole from a giant avocado off the tree in the backyard - it is so delicious! The only down side is that we don't have any tortilla chips here, so Catherine made really flat biscuits, which were delicious, but we got so full because we had to eat SO much bread to get to this guacamole! It was definitely worth it though (as you may guess from all the exclamation marks!).
Today was a really fun day, and it had just about the right amount of everything! I sat with Catherine's 'Intro A' English class (the beginners of the beginners), which was really fun. Everyone learned "Hey, how's it going?" "What is your name?" and "Nice to meet you." We also went over the alphabet, and then learned "See you later" so that everyone could say bye to us when they left the class :)
The class with Catherine was also briefly interrupted this morning with a visit from New Zealand's ambassador to Brazil! That was really cool, and hearing Portuguese with a New Zealand accent was just about the most fantastic part of my day. The New Zealand embassy donated funding to pay for the electrical wiring at Free Flight when there was a different ambassador there, so this guy came to kind of follow up and also become aquainted with the project himself. It seemed like he was pretty impressed :)
After Catherine's class I went to join Frank's more advanced English class (for students who are in the second half of their second year), which was much smaller, with only three students. That class was tons of fun too! We did some grammar (which I rocked at, obviously, so I tried to translate the sentences from English to Portuguese, which was trickier, but I learned the word for 'store manager' lol: gerente), and then we practiced asking and answering questions about each other. It was lots of fun, and they were all really good!
Over lunch, Catherine and I sat and chatted with some of the kids, which was really relaxed and fun, and then I had my class for Portuguese, and then I helped a mid-level English class at the end of the afternoon. It was a full day, but it was very good.
Also, there have been no cockroaches to report for the last few days, which I love!! I think that's it for today, except for...
No comments:
Post a Comment