Sunday, February 15, 2009

Day 36

The time changed in Brazil today! Catherine and I went to the market this morning with a friend of hers named Mauricio. He picked us up at 10:30, and we walked up to a street that had been closed off and filled with stalls and vendors selling clothes, underwear (!), pirated DVDs, live chickens, beer and bbq, huge dead fish, etc. It was really interesting, and Catherine bought us all an amazing drink, which was like a smoothie of some purpley black fruit, with peanuts ground up in it and granola and condensed milk on top! Delicious.

After wandering around and looking for a birthday present for Andressa (she turned 10 today), we bumped into someone we knew and asked him the time. He told us it was about 10:30. And then we learned that the clocks got turned back last night. This means that when the clocks move forward in Canada, Toronto will only be one hour behind. I don't have pictures of the market because I didn't want to get my camera stolen. Imagine a street packed with Brazilians, some people on bikes, and at least one person carrying a chicken. It smells like bbq'd meat, cigarettes and possible fish, depending on where in the market you are. =)

Today was the second week we had Sunday School at Free Flight. Last week we didn't divide into classes, but this week we did. I was pretty pleased to be able to participate in my group and even read a few Bible verses out loud in Portuguese!

This is a picture of the chaos that was people heading off into their groups. It actually wasn't too bad, but I unfortunately didn't get a picture to really show how many kids came! I would guess that there were around 30.
I also have here a picture of the worship band, including me! From left to right, we are Frank on guitar, Fernando on vocals, Josue on drums (you can hardly see him), me, and then Catherine in the front on acoustic guitar. Sometimes we also have a bass player.jWe play... very loudly. Usually when we practice or play I get headaches, but I am looking into buying ear plugs. We couldn't find any cheap ear plugs at any of the four drugstores we checked today, so I may end up just buying silicon ear plugs for like $15R They will probably be much better than those disposable foam ear plugs anyways.

Oh Andressa's birthday party! This girl is just so cute and sweet. This is her, thinking about something important I'm sure. On the left is Bruna, her step-mom, who did such a great job planning this birthday party for Andressa.What birthday party could be complete without people watching you blow out your candles? I think she had trick candles, because they relit about five times. It was pretty funny.This is a picture of Juliana, Linda-Inez (Andressa's older sister), and me after we ate our cake. It was so good! Man, I am falling in love with bread and cakes and pastry here. Also, I am falling in love with these little girls.

No comments: