Friday, March 6, 2009

Day 55 - Back on Track

A couple weeks have passed since I've posted any updates, but there is actually not too much to catch up on. Things have been more or less the same at Free Flight, although the week of Carnaval had fewer classes and way more people around the play sports.

On Tuesday night after making cookies during the day with Catherine, I went out with her, Joel, Frank and Adilio to a concert in Braslandia (a city nearby, just over the line in the Federal District where they have more money). It was lots of fun, although also ridiculous. The first person who performed danced almost like he was teaching a Jazzercise class, except with more pelvic thrusts than I have ever seen at a rec centre.

The second group had much better music and more variation in their dancing, and it was so cool to be listening to live music in a crowd under the stars with friends in a foreign country. It was probably the highlight of my week! There are no pictures though because we didn't bring our cameras because we didn't want to have things to steal. I also abstained from buying any souvenirs they had there, including the ever-popular headband with light-up horns. You may admire my fortitude.

This next bit is a creature update: I caught a little lizard in my laundry hamper! I keep the hamper on its side on top of my wardrobe because it is both convenient and out of the way. I think I was going to toss something in when I noticed this shadow:
I don't mind lizards because
a) they aren't cockroaches
b) they eat cockroaches!
So instead of being grossed out or freaked out I was kind of excited and grabbed my camera and took pictures. I took a picture as best I could without being able to look through the viewfinder to see what the little guy actually looked like and -surprise!- it looks exactly like the gecko keychain I made at camp when I was ten. Except not blue.
Anyways, after this charming photo shoot, I poked the laundry hamper until the lizard jumped out onto a pile of clothes on my suitcase beside the wardrobe and slipped underneath a shirt. I threw shirts onto my bed, because I didn't really want the lizard living in my clothes and growing to full size and startling me to death the next time I do laundry, so I eliminated his hiding places until he finally jumped onto the floor and ran underneath the wardrobe. Fine by me, maybe he'll find something to eat under there!

Fast forward to last night: a bunch of people from Free Flight rented a nearby soccer field for an hour, and I went to watch the games. It was really fun, and it was great to have a night out. It also got pretty chilly because the hour of playing didn't start until 10:20pm, but I didn't mind because it's the first time I've been cold all week! I think that the heat has actually been making me sick because I've been exhausted beyond all reason, but I am drinking lots of water and trying to keep out of the sun. I'm feeling okay tonight, and I am heading to bed early-ish so hopefully that helps!

No comments: