Sunday, March 22, 2009

Day 71

Joyce left on her travels to India today - it will take her a few days to get there, but she is on her way there for a conference and will be back Easter weekend. Catherine, Frank and I will be holding down the fort, and I'm not worried about anything.

I'm definitely feeling more pressure these days to get to work on my assignments! I have been working on them and reading and doing what I can, but I now have just under four weeks before classes end in Toronto and my work will be due! Yikes. My goal is to finish my assignments before Joyce gets back (three weeks) so that my last week here can be completely without distractions or stress from school stuff - I'm sure there will be enough stress from complicated emotions about leaving here! We'll see how it all goes.

I've had a fun couple of days since my last post! Friday after my Portuguese class I was walking by the breakdance room, "sala de break" lol, and my friend Donisete ("don-knee-Zetchy" oh Brazilian names) asked if I was going to train. I've spent the last month or so telling him and his friend Junho (which is the equivalent of Junior, I think) that I would one day, and for once the room wasn't packed with sweaty guys, so I decided to take the chance. It was so fun! My muscles are still kind of sore today from the half hour or so of "training", but it was worth it, and I will definitely try to do it again. It was kind of embarassing and I felt like such a white girl in the worst way, but everyone who was there was so encouraging and didn't make fun of me. One guy said that I'm already better than his brother! lol. I learned some standing up footwork and some weird running around in a circle with my hands on the ground footwork and two freezes, both of which require more strength than I have to actually hold. BUT I have a month to build that strength! Wish me luck!

Saturday I spent an hour and a half putting tiny pieces of double sided tape on strips of paper as part of a project for the graphics shop. There are 30 000 strips of paper to tape, so the couple hundred that I did made depressingly little impact. That's how it is though with a big project like that... everyone chips away at it when they have the chance and eventually the tape runs out or our spines are permanently bent or the project gets finished.Saturday afternoon, Andressa shared with me the exciting discovery that some of the piles of gravel at Free Flight have tiny seashells in them!! She and her brother started looking for as many as they could find, and another girl named Leony joined them. I was the holder of the shells - they found almost as many shells as I could hold in one hand, so there were actually quite a lot.Andressa was so cute - she must have heard somewhere that if you put a shell up to your ear you can hear the ocean because she was doing that with these shells. I explained that the shell needs to be bigger for it to work... these shells were no bigger than the size of my fingernail. She and Leony were pretty impressed when I told them that there were seashells in the world bigger than my hand. Anyways, it was a fun afternoon looking for seashells in central Brazil =)

No comments: