Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Day Trip! pt.2

This is the tough barn at the beginning of the trail up to the waterfalls.
And this is some of the scenery from the path... amazing.
Like a bridge over troubled water (?)The first waterfall along the path
Yet another bridge that rustically bent under your weight and was totally fall-offable
Another waterfall on our way up the mountain! Interesting fact: the woman whose head you can see at the bottom was wearing a one-piece bathing suit. Catherine thinks she's probably not from Brazil because... that just doesn't happen here.
This is where the path got steep. And by steep I mean... climbing with hands and feet, holding onto tree roots and the ever-present cable wires. What you see in this picture is tame.
But the path was so worth it! Part way up the path carved into the side of the mountain was another waterfall, and I braved the current to cross over onto the rock where you see me standing :) It was cool and misty and great, and then we kept climbing up.
This is THE waterfall. And that's my head swimming in it! Joel is standing in the place where we eventually jumped off, but that didn't happen until like 45 minutes of deliberation. I am proud to say that he finally decided to jump after I said I'd do it first, and my deliberations only lasted like... 10 minutes? It was a lot harder once I was actually standing in the place looking down at the trees growing out of the cliff and imagining what would happen if the impact broke all of my bones.

But then I jumped anyways! This pose is what I like to call the "fear position" where you've just jumped off a cliff and are bracing for impact, for drowning, for a wedgie... whatever you happen to get. My first jump was amazing and I was so proud of myself! My second jump was more painful and a lot of water washed through my nose into my lungs, so that was kind of a buzz killer, but it was Totally worth it!!

No comments: